Skip to main content

Have a life filled with wonder.

Have a life filled with wonder.


It is so easy to fall into a rut.  I get up, get the kids ready for school, drop them off, pick them up, eat lunch, put the kids down for nap, try to do homework, go to work or school, attempt to spend time with my wife, maybe watch a show, and then get a little sleep so that I can repeat it all again the next day. The weekend comes and I attempt to relax.  Rinse; lather; repeat. Before you know it it’s a week later and the to do boxes are mostly checked and everything starts over.
I had a dream the other day that I had turned into a kid again.  In the dream I played and imagined.  I looked at the world and was filled with curiosity.  I didn’t know why flipping a switch turned on the lights, and it didn’t bother me.  I didn’t care about bills, car repairs, or what was happening on Facebook.  The biggest concern was whether or not we had any Totino’s Pizza for lunch.  As the saying goes, the world was my oyster.
Levi building a repair station.
When I woke I took a look at my kids.  Mia imagined fantastic scenes with her dolls.  She created stories filled with dragons (portrayed by monster trucks), princesses, and heroes.  Levi could build anything his mind could think of out of blocks and Seth would joyfully wreck it all.  Their playtime was filled with imagination and wonder.
“You must be a wizard!” Levi exclaimed! “How did you do that dad?” Mia asked as we pulled away from the stoplight.  We had reached a part of the morning where the conversation had slowed and we were casually listening to the radio.  I’ve always tried to be observant of my surroundings and when I would be at a stoplight I would watch the other signals so that I could predict when my light would turn green.  This morning, after remembering my dream, I decided to try to inspire some wonder.  When the light was about to turn green I yelled “AND GREEN!” and flailed out my arms as though shooting my will to the stoplight.  Within a second the light turned green and we continued on to school.  At the next stoplight the kids tried to make it change and we laughed and laughed.  It is now part of our regular commute.
When I was younger I spent a lot of time with my grandparents.  One day my grandpa decided to play a little trick on me.  We went into his room to lie down on his bed.  He told me that if I concentrated on the new fan above us, it would spin, so I stared at it intently.  Slowly this machine came to life.  Whoosh.  Whoosh. Whoosh.  I turned my head and exclaimed, “IT WORKED GRANDPA!” and the fan immediately stopped.  “You stopped concentrating, lets try it again.”  We spent an afternoon making the fan spin and it was wonderful.  I realize now that grandpa had installed a new remote control fan, but he filled that moment with such wonder that I will never forget it.
I tell you all these things because they have one common thread.  We all reveled in not knowing.  We embraced the impossible. These stories showcased instances where life was filled with a curious wonder.  We didn’t know why things were the way they were and that was great.  We enjoyed not knowing and it allowed our imagination to define our experiences.  We believed anything was possible. 

When our lives fall into ruts and everything feels so predictable, we must try to change our perspective and perhaps then we could add a little wonder to our lives.  Fellow fathers, the world will try to cause our kids to think like everyone else.  It will suck imagination out of them.  Eventually, they will stop believing in Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and monsters, but I encourage all of us to inspire a little wonder in our children.  Amaze our kids with "magic fans" and "changing stoplights" and they will never forget the importance of imagination.
Stay safe out there,
D.A. Acevedo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of course...

They say that writing is supposed to be therapeutic.  Today I found out that my brother is back in jail and I just needed to write my feelings.  I am not posting this for sympathy but maybe my words can help someone else who has someone they love who keeps making the same mistakes over and over again or maybe it will help the offender realize what they put their friends and family though when they don't change. D. A. Acevedo ***** I take a look at my phone and see an hour old text Call me as soon as you get this is all that it says Is Papi dead and has there been an accident These questions run though my head My finger shakes as I select dad’s name Of course… Your brother has been arrested He is back in jail I’m sorry I’m in a meeting I’ll call you when I am done My only reply is Of course… I am rather shocked that I don’t feel at all I expected some tears But he has acted odd Ever since his probation ended last month Something had been off Of course…

I (can't) Stand Alone

American's praise the individual.  Men, especially, are pushed to be self reliant, quiet, loners.  We struggle to tackle life's problems ourselves without ever asking for help.  By doing this we are proving we are strong, right? “The word "We" is as lime poured over men, which sets and hardens to stone, and crushes all beneath it, and that which is white and that which is black are lost equally in the grey of it. It is the word by which the depraved steal the virtue of the good, by which the weak steal the might of the strong, by which the fools steal the wisdom of the sages.  -Ayn Rand We do it alone.  We pull ourselves up by our bootstraps.  We can blame no one but ourselves when we fail.  We achieve success by only caring for ourselves.  Right? Earlier this month I took time to get away with a group of men.  While we were spending time together we were learning some of what it means to be "Sons of Grace."  One of the biggest points I took