Skip to main content

What did it see when it looked at me?

            No one who was taken from this box has come back.  I didn’t know, or perhaps I didn’t want to know, how it was that I found myself here.  It was dark, so dark that I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face.  Periodically, a blinding light would shine from above and when it finally receded, those who were left would breathe a sigh of relief.  Originally there were twenty of us.  Our names didn’t really matter; just the fact that we were not alone was enough to calm most of us down.  We’ve searched the walls by feeling the perimeter and have not been able to find an exit.  I had felt my way to a corner, thinking that whoever or whatever has been removing the others would be less likely to find me if I was huddled away in a corner.  I sat down to try and think when the bright light erupted from above again.
            Throwing my arms over my head I attempted to see what was above me when I was scooped up out of the corner.  Without thinking, I tried to flail about so that whatever had a hold of me would let me go, but its firm grip assured me that there was no escape for whatever was going to come next.  It took several seconds to be able to begin to make out my surroundings.
            Some sort of giant was holding me up.  Its thumb and index finger held me on either side of my ribcage in a miraculously gentle, yet unmoving way.  I yelled at it to return me to my family, and when it didn’t respond I began to flail around again.  My frustration turned to terror when it hoisted me up near its face.  That was when I saw what was in its other hand.
            The giant had some sort of bent metal rod with a barb at the end.  My blood ran cold when it began twisting me around, looking me over.  I don’t know what it saw when it looked at me but I could tell from its eyes that it didn’t consider me as anything but a hunk of meat.  Again I yelled, this time with panic in my voice.
It repositioned its grip, pinning my arms against me as it brought the metal rod closer.  My screams went silent as it seemed to gently place the barbed end on my right shoulder.  Darkness started to swirl in my eyes as I could feel myself losing consciousness.
            Pain erupted throughout my shoulder and I was instantly reawakened.  The barbed end had pierced the shoulder and lodged itself into my right clavicle bone.  As I screamed, a look of frustration shrouded the giant, and with a jerk it dislodged the barb and started pushing the rod further into my chest through the gap between my clavicle and scapula bones.  My screams immediately died out with a cough that brought forth blood.  I couldn’t catch my breath.  The rod must have pierced one of my lungs.  I prayed that I would pass out but ever increasing amounts of pain seemed to hold unconsciousness at bay.  I began to feel pressure in my abdomen, below my rib cage, and to my horror, the giant gave a twist of its wrist and the barbed end erupted from my middle. 
My whole body was shaking as the blood was pouring out of my wounds.  I knew that there was no surviving what just happened to me.  I looked up at the giant and he gave a satisfied nod.  Satisfied?  How could any creature feel all right after shoving a curved piece of metal though another living being?  Apparently the rod was attached to some rope because as abruptly as he scooped me out, he dropped me and with a jerk I was suspended in midair.  My arms and legs hung limp from my body, each one giving random twitches. 

No sooner had I began to wonder what other monstrosities would be done to me before I died of blood loss, when I was whipped through the air.  It was as though I was flying and for a brief second I thought my speed would rip the rod out of me.  Then I hit the water.  I skipped several times on the surface of the water before I was plunged into its depths.  I felt very weak.  I couldn’t even close my eyes.  Several seconds later I stopped sinking and within moments I felt a tug on one of my legs.  Everything was cold and I didn’t even feel the pain anymore.  I could see a flash of movement to the left of me, but couldn’t turn my head to see what it was.  I was getting sleepy now.  The end was coming.  The last thing I saw was teeth.  It was then that I realized what it was the giant saw when it looked at me.  I was not a living creature, but bait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of course...

They say that writing is supposed to be therapeutic.  Today I found out that my brother is back in jail and I just needed to write my feelings.  I am not posting this for sympathy but maybe my words can help someone else who has someone they love who keeps making the same mistakes over and over again or maybe it will help the offender realize what they put their friends and family though when they don't change. D. A. Acevedo ***** I take a look at my phone and see an hour old text Call me as soon as you get this is all that it says Is Papi dead and has there been an accident These questions run though my head My finger shakes as I select dad’s name Of course… Your brother has been arrested He is back in jail I’m sorry I’m in a meeting I’ll call you when I am done My only reply is Of course… I am rather shocked that I don’t feel at all I expected some tears But he has acted odd Ever since his probation ended last month Something had been off Of course…

I (can't) Stand Alone

American's praise the individual.  Men, especially, are pushed to be self reliant, quiet, loners.  We struggle to tackle life's problems ourselves without ever asking for help.  By doing this we are proving we are strong, right? “The word "We" is as lime poured over men, which sets and hardens to stone, and crushes all beneath it, and that which is white and that which is black are lost equally in the grey of it. It is the word by which the depraved steal the virtue of the good, by which the weak steal the might of the strong, by which the fools steal the wisdom of the sages.  -Ayn Rand We do it alone.  We pull ourselves up by our bootstraps.  We can blame no one but ourselves when we fail.  We achieve success by only caring for ourselves.  Right? Earlier this month I took time to get away with a group of men.  While we were spending time together we were learning some of what it means to be "Sons of Grace."  One of the biggest points I took

Have a life filled with wonder.

Have a life filled with wonder. It is so easy to fall into a rut.  I get up, get the kids ready for school, drop them off, pick them up, eat lunch, put the kids down for nap, try to do homework, go to work or school, attempt to spend time with my wife, maybe watch a show, and then get a little sleep so that I can repeat it all again the next day. The weekend comes and I attempt to relax.  Rinse; lather; repeat. Before you know it it’s a week later and the to do boxes are mostly checked and everything starts over. I had a dream the other day that I had turned into a kid again.  In the dream I played and imagined.  I looked at the world and was filled with curiosity.  I didn’t know why flipping a switch turned on the lights, and it didn’t bother me.  I didn’t care about bills, car repairs, or what was happening on Facebook.  The biggest concern was whether or not we had any Totino’s Pizza for lunch.  As the saying goes, the world was my oyster. Levi building a repair station.