Skip to main content

Spores of fear

In one moment I am soaring. 

“You’ve been accepted into the respiratory program,” the email says.  The testing, prerequisite classes, interview and obnoxiously long waiting period has finally payed off with that one sentence.  I received the news while walking out of the BLS (basic lifesaving/CPR) class I was taking for work and even though there were still people taking a test a whoop escapes my mouth.  With a grin and a quick sorry to those still working I make my way out into the hallway and begin making calls to tell my loved ones.  I finally got in!  I have an end date!  I am going to be able to have a living wage!  My heart swells.

Then comes the fear.

I am so excited and a small thought pops into my head.  “You better not fail.”  From that one spore grows overwhelming self-doubt that threatens to take away everything I have worked toward.  It will start with something small like putting off getting a shot that I will need so that I can go on clinical rotations.  Then it will bloom into bigger forms of self-sabotage.  I’ll do that homework tomorrow.  Do I really need to go to this class?  I’m just so tired.

In one moment I am soaring.

My floor manager pulls me aside to ask me about the new person I am training.  I tell her how impressed I have been with her, seeing her adjust to various obstacles in our day and rolling on to get all of our daily tasks completed.  My manager smiles and says, “It’s because of you, you know.  You’ve done such a good job training that her success shows how good of a mentor you are.  Good job, Daniel.”  My heart swells.  I am being recognized!  My hard work is being seen!

Then comes the fear.

“Yeah, but if they really watched you, they would know the truth.”  The spore takes hold and the poisonous thoughts start to grow.  “You get your tasks done but do you really go beyond that?  I know that you are lazy.  You are a fraud!”  It whispers into my mind.

So why do I share these thoughts with you, you may be asking.  Allow me to explain.  Many of you know that I am a nursing assistant at a local hospital and I am often exposed to many infectious diseases.  Some of my patients have infections that can easily be transmitted though touch which is why they may be put on isolation precautions.  We are required to wear personal protective gear and wash and disinfect ourselves and any equipment that we use in that room.  When the patient is discharged and the housekeeping team comes in to clean, the rooms with the toughest infections may be exposed to a machine that fills the room with UV light.  The UV light causes the infectious germs and spores to die, sanitizing the room and making it safe for its next patient.  My fears are like these infectious spores.  If I try to ignore them, they will bloom causing every achievement and complement to be infected with self-doubt and fear, quietly sucking out any joy in my life, but like an infectious spore, these thoughts cannot survive in the light.  I share my fears with you because by exposing them they lose some of its strength.  I will never be free from all my fears, I am human, but I don’t have to deal with them alone.

My friends, don’t allow fear to paralyze, infect and destroy you.  Find someone to share it with.  Drag that infectious bastard into the light and remove its power to stop you.  Let’s go soaring!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of course...

They say that writing is supposed to be therapeutic.  Today I found out that my brother is back in jail and I just needed to write my feelings.  I am not posting this for sympathy but maybe my words can help someone else who has someone they love who keeps making the same mistakes over and over again or maybe it will help the offender realize what they put their friends and family though when they don't change. D. A. Acevedo ***** I take a look at my phone and see an hour old text Call me as soon as you get this is all that it says Is Papi dead and has there been an accident These questions run though my head My finger shakes as I select dad’s name Of course… Your brother has been arrested He is back in jail I’m sorry I’m in a meeting I’ll call you when I am done My only reply is Of course… I am rather shocked that I don’t feel at all I expected some tears But he has acted odd Ever since his probation ended last month Something had been off Of course…

I (can't) Stand Alone

American's praise the individual.  Men, especially, are pushed to be self reliant, quiet, loners.  We struggle to tackle life's problems ourselves without ever asking for help.  By doing this we are proving we are strong, right? “The word "We" is as lime poured over men, which sets and hardens to stone, and crushes all beneath it, and that which is white and that which is black are lost equally in the grey of it. It is the word by which the depraved steal the virtue of the good, by which the weak steal the might of the strong, by which the fools steal the wisdom of the sages.  -Ayn Rand We do it alone.  We pull ourselves up by our bootstraps.  We can blame no one but ourselves when we fail.  We achieve success by only caring for ourselves.  Right? Earlier this month I took time to get away with a group of men.  While we were spending time together we were learning some of what it means to be "Sons of Grace."  One of the biggest points I took

Have a life filled with wonder.

Have a life filled with wonder. It is so easy to fall into a rut.  I get up, get the kids ready for school, drop them off, pick them up, eat lunch, put the kids down for nap, try to do homework, go to work or school, attempt to spend time with my wife, maybe watch a show, and then get a little sleep so that I can repeat it all again the next day. The weekend comes and I attempt to relax.  Rinse; lather; repeat. Before you know it it’s a week later and the to do boxes are mostly checked and everything starts over. I had a dream the other day that I had turned into a kid again.  In the dream I played and imagined.  I looked at the world and was filled with curiosity.  I didn’t know why flipping a switch turned on the lights, and it didn’t bother me.  I didn’t care about bills, car repairs, or what was happening on Facebook.  The biggest concern was whether or not we had any Totino’s Pizza for lunch.  As the saying goes, the world was my oyster. Levi building a repair station.