Skip to main content

The power of a smile

It was the summer of 1996 and I was thirteen.  After spending the week at camp, fervently praying that we would not have to move from our home in Fort Lauderdale, my parents broke the news.  We were relocating to this small town called Fort Myers.  Weeping into my pancakes I was filled with a myriad of emotions.  Anger at them that they would pull me away from my upcoming eighth grade school year (when all the good school trips happen), sadness that I would be leaving my friends, nervous that I would be starting anew, and disbelieving that God would deny my requests.  Through syrupy tears I prepared my heart to leave the life that I knew to enter a new (and what would end up as the best) chapter in my life.
In a whirlwind of activity my life was boxed up and moved to a quaint home in North Fort Myers, Florida.  I tried to stay positive but it was summer and I felt utterly alone.  Several parents forced their children to invite me over and luckily I hit it off with a few teenagers my age.  It seemed like I blinked and summer was over and it was time have a flurry of firsts.  My first experience on a public school bus, my first time having my lunch money stolen, my first time walking in on kids smoking weed.  It was so great (sarcasm).  I was filled with frustration  and anger.  Through it all, though, I kept smiling.  
That first Sunday at church I wish I could say that I had some sense of homecoming and deep meaning, but I really don’t remember any of it.  Years later my wife’s mom told me that I sat in the pew in front of her and when it came time to “greet those around you” I said hello to her and shook her hand.  She told me she thought to herself, “this young man had such a nice smile, he should marry my daughter.”   She knew nothing about me except that I was the new pastor’s son and that I would greet her with a grin and say good morning, but she felt a connection in that moment.  
A seed had been planted, a possibility had been birthed, a potential idea had been put into the world, and I was completely unaware.

Lesson number 1: Sometimes we go through pain so that we can be ready for what comes next.

In my misery God was bringing me to the place that I needed to be.  I truly believe that Courtney had been perfectly made for me just I have have been made for her.  You may be able to recall hearing the countless songs that talk about our winding roads that lead us where we are meant to be.   If I had stayed where I thought I had belonged then I would (probably) never have met the love of my life.
I remember that it took about a year for this new place to feel like it could be home.  In the meantime, I developed a pure unadulterated judgement of those around me.  A few years later I remember telling Courtney, with complete confidence, that if she listened to country music she would go to hell because good Christians could only listen to Christian music.  I saw myself as a peacemaker but would stand above those around me and haughtily inform them the proper decisions they should be making.  It took counseling and Courtney’s brutal honesty for me to face that my attitude was coming from pain.  The pain of leaving what I knew behind as well as the pain of “appearing” to have my life together.  Courtney’s consistent and relentless and often brutal love and honesty allowed me to accept and acknowledge that it was ok.  It was ok for me to be vulnerable with her and eventually with the people who surrounded us in life.  It was ok and I didn’t need to judge others because I could admit to myself that I am just as messed up.  It was ok to be in pain over loss, fear, and uncertainty.  It was painful being honest with myself but without Courtney, I couldn’t have learned this valuable lesson.  She taught me that through pain I could let go of the past and prepare for what comes next.  She helped me move from a plastered on, fake smile to an authentic one.  She watered the seed of acceptance and forgiveness in my heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of course...

They say that writing is supposed to be therapeutic.  Today I found out that my brother is back in jail and I just needed to write my feelings.  I am not posting this for sympathy but maybe my words can help someone else who has someone they love who keeps making the same mistakes over and over again or maybe it will help the offender realize what they put their friends and family though when they don't change. D. A. Acevedo ***** I take a look at my phone and see an hour old text Call me as soon as you get this is all that it says Is Papi dead and has there been an accident These questions run though my head My finger shakes as I select dad’s name Of course… Your brother has been arrested He is back in jail I’m sorry I’m in a meeting I’ll call you when I am done My only reply is Of course… I am rather shocked that I don’t feel at all I expected some tears But he has acted odd Ever since his probation ended last month Something had been off Of course…

I (can't) Stand Alone

American's praise the individual.  Men, especially, are pushed to be self reliant, quiet, loners.  We struggle to tackle life's problems ourselves without ever asking for help.  By doing this we are proving we are strong, right? “The word "We" is as lime poured over men, which sets and hardens to stone, and crushes all beneath it, and that which is white and that which is black are lost equally in the grey of it. It is the word by which the depraved steal the virtue of the good, by which the weak steal the might of the strong, by which the fools steal the wisdom of the sages.  -Ayn Rand We do it alone.  We pull ourselves up by our bootstraps.  We can blame no one but ourselves when we fail.  We achieve success by only caring for ourselves.  Right? Earlier this month I took time to get away with a group of men.  While we were spending time together we were learning some of what it means to be "Sons of Grace."  One of the biggest points I took

Have a life filled with wonder.

Have a life filled with wonder. It is so easy to fall into a rut.  I get up, get the kids ready for school, drop them off, pick them up, eat lunch, put the kids down for nap, try to do homework, go to work or school, attempt to spend time with my wife, maybe watch a show, and then get a little sleep so that I can repeat it all again the next day. The weekend comes and I attempt to relax.  Rinse; lather; repeat. Before you know it it’s a week later and the to do boxes are mostly checked and everything starts over. I had a dream the other day that I had turned into a kid again.  In the dream I played and imagined.  I looked at the world and was filled with curiosity.  I didn’t know why flipping a switch turned on the lights, and it didn’t bother me.  I didn’t care about bills, car repairs, or what was happening on Facebook.  The biggest concern was whether or not we had any Totino’s Pizza for lunch.  As the saying goes, the world was my oyster. Levi building a repair station.