Skip to main content

The Passion

Recently I wrote a letter of intent for school.  

In it they wanted me to answer the simple question of why I want to become a nurse.  Writing that letter helped me put into words what I have struggled with my whole adult life; finding "the passion."  In books and movies and even on the news we see stories of people who find their calling and pursue it with the passion that burns within.  I've always looked up to those who know what they want and like a bloodhound tracking it's prey, they unerringly pursue it until the end.

I've witnessed "the passion" first hand in my father.  He likes to tell the story that in an architecture class he heard God calling him into ministry.  He gave up his car and his hometown to go to another state to pursue his calling to become a minister.  Later, after being married for only three months he returned to Kentucky to finish his degree and enter seminary. Some of my first memories were of my Father teaching youth about a God who loves them and wants to be in relationship with them.  I grew up seeing him hone his skills and gifts always pursuing his "passion."

I've also seen this in my brother as he passionately strives toward his two loves, good food and making music.  You can see his passion when he describes the food he creates from the sparkle in his eyes as he talks about glazes and reductions.  He has pushed himself to learn new skills in the kitchen by learning from others, taking their methods and making them his own.  Nathan was telling me the other day about his obsession with getting new music equipment such as synthesizers and repeaters.  His love of music has been apparent since he was in high school.  I remember one time when, on the day before a hurricane, he and his friends loaded up their equipment and headed downtown.  They would stop, quickly plug everything in and jam out a "rock you like a hurricane" only to break down and move to another spot to do it again.  Now he still pumps out music whenever he isn't cooking. You can listen to his latest electronic beat here.

And then there is me...

I have witnessed the passion in others first hand, but other than my passion for being a husband and father I never felt that relentless calling upon my life until relatively recently when I started on the path to becoming a nurse.  To properly understand why I have felt called to become a nurse you have to understand several things about me.  I am currently thirty five years old and have been married to my high school sweetheart for thirteen years.  Together we have four beautiful children aged ten, eight, five, and two.  For years I worked several jobs so that my wife could complete school and have our first few kids.  Up until that point work was just work; something to put food on the table.  After she completed school I knew it was my turn to go complete my degree, the only problem was I didn’t know what I wanted to do.  I had previously looked into teaching (because that is what mom does), ministry (because that is what dad does) as well as computer technology and none of those were the correct fit.  Nothing stirred the bloodhound inside me.  I had been feeling frustrated, aimless, and honestly depressed when I was encouraged to talk to a counselor about life in general.

It was there that we talked about who I was as a person.  She helped me realize that “what I did” didn’t define “who I was.”  We talked about how what was really important to me and what kind of things made that bloodhound lift its head.  She helped me realize that my greatest personal victories usually included one common theme which is that I have a heart for helping people.  I have been involved in disaster relief efforts, home construction for the needy, and serving the underprivileged.  I came to realize that I am at my best when I am helping those in need.  I have always had a heart for those that are hurting.  After several sessions she made a comment off the cuff that would change the direction of my life.  She asked, “Have you ever thought about nursing?”  I hadn’t but that one question planted the seed that led me to the path that I am currently on.

Dad and Me when I earned
my CNA licence.
I knew that completing a degree in nursing would take a while so to “test the waters” I went through a course in becoming a certified nursing assistant.  I was able to get a job at one of the local hospitals and for the last three years have been serving as a CNA on a medical surgery department.  During this time I started hammering out the prerequisites that I would need to pursue my nursing degree.  Every day that I work I relearn that although it is the most exhausting job I’ve ever had it is by far the most rewarding.  The bloodhound was stirring and the passion was finally burning.  

So what do I want you to take away from this?

I urge everyone to find a passion.  I know that most people's jobs are not like my father, that is, a calling placed on his life.  Your passion may not be your job and I need everyone to understand that that is okay.  One of my best friends, Christian, works as a correctional officer but his passion is writing.  You can check out his author page here.  When I was passionless I felt worthless.  I was spiraling in depression and it made me a worse husband and father.  Providing for the family and getting by just wasn't enough.  I needed something that fed the fires of my soul and urged me forward.  So write, draw, go camping, make music or barbecue, be bold, change jobs, just find something, anything, that you are passionate for and go for it.

Be the bloodhound and hunt your passion.


Comments

  1. Thank you so much for sharing Daniel! I've known about you, but now I know you, the person, who is using his spiritual gifts of giving and compassion to help and bless others. God bless you in your journey.

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew HartsfieldApril 28, 2018 at 5:48 AM

    I am inspired by your sharing, Daniel. Thank you. You are an awesome young man of God.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Of course...

They say that writing is supposed to be therapeutic.  Today I found out that my brother is back in jail and I just needed to write my feelings.  I am not posting this for sympathy but maybe my words can help someone else who has someone they love who keeps making the same mistakes over and over again or maybe it will help the offender realize what they put their friends and family though when they don't change. D. A. Acevedo ***** I take a look at my phone and see an hour old text Call me as soon as you get this is all that it says Is Papi dead and has there been an accident These questions run though my head My finger shakes as I select dad’s name Of course… Your brother has been arrested He is back in jail I’m sorry I’m in a meeting I’ll call you when I am done My only reply is Of course… I am rather shocked that I don’t feel at all I expected some tears But he has acted odd Ever since his probation ended last month Something had been off Of course…

I (can't) Stand Alone

American's praise the individual.  Men, especially, are pushed to be self reliant, quiet, loners.  We struggle to tackle life's problems ourselves without ever asking for help.  By doing this we are proving we are strong, right? “The word "We" is as lime poured over men, which sets and hardens to stone, and crushes all beneath it, and that which is white and that which is black are lost equally in the grey of it. It is the word by which the depraved steal the virtue of the good, by which the weak steal the might of the strong, by which the fools steal the wisdom of the sages.  -Ayn Rand We do it alone.  We pull ourselves up by our bootstraps.  We can blame no one but ourselves when we fail.  We achieve success by only caring for ourselves.  Right? Earlier this month I took time to get away with a group of men.  While we were spending time together we were learning some of what it means to be "Sons of Grace."  One of the biggest points I took

Have a life filled with wonder.

Have a life filled with wonder. It is so easy to fall into a rut.  I get up, get the kids ready for school, drop them off, pick them up, eat lunch, put the kids down for nap, try to do homework, go to work or school, attempt to spend time with my wife, maybe watch a show, and then get a little sleep so that I can repeat it all again the next day. The weekend comes and I attempt to relax.  Rinse; lather; repeat. Before you know it it’s a week later and the to do boxes are mostly checked and everything starts over. I had a dream the other day that I had turned into a kid again.  In the dream I played and imagined.  I looked at the world and was filled with curiosity.  I didn’t know why flipping a switch turned on the lights, and it didn’t bother me.  I didn’t care about bills, car repairs, or what was happening on Facebook.  The biggest concern was whether or not we had any Totino’s Pizza for lunch.  As the saying goes, the world was my oyster. Levi building a repair station.