Skip to main content

It's because people are horrible.

My daughter asked me today why people throw cigarettes onto the ground.  Without thinking I responded, "It's because people are horrible."  Then I thought about what I said.

Is that really true?

Do I really think people are horrible because they litter?

Is it because they smoke?

Am I any better?

I started reflecting on the things in my life that make me horrible.  I yell at the dog.  I've skipped class.  I've lied to people I love.  Hell, I've thrown a hamburger wrapper out the window (when I was alone of course).

Does that make me horrible?

I get frustrated at politicians.  I blow off the needy.  I miss church.

Does that make me horrible?

I've fought with others.  I ignore phone calls.  I posted mean comments.

Does that make me horrible?

That's when it hit me.  I am as horrible as everyone else.  There are not "levels of horribleness."  The Bible says "Since we've compiled this long and sorry record as sinners (both us and them) and proved that we are utterly incapable of living the glorious lives God wills for us..." (Romans 3:23a The Message)  If I believe the Bible is true than that means the homeless drunk who yelled at me the other day, the twerking celebrity who is a bad example, the angry pundit on TV, the mass murderer, my daughter, and me are all in the same boat.

WE ARE HORRIBLE

So what does that mean for me?  What could I do?  How could I respond to this?

Luckily, the Bible continues on with, "...God did it for us.  Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself.  A pure gift.  He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be.  And did it by means of Jesus Christ" (Romans 3:23b - 24 The Message)  Yeah, you read right.  Redeemed, baby!  It doesn't take away the fact that we are all horrible but we have an opportunity to not stay that way.  Jesus' death made it right between God and us, we just have to accept it.

Jesus absorbed my horribleness like a paper towel absorbs my kids messes.  There is still the residue and ramifications of my horribleness in my life but I am not forever tainted by it.

So next time my daughter asks me if someone who throws a cigarette on the ground is horrible (because you know she will remember me saying that) I can tell her the truth.

We are all horrible, but we don't have to stay that way.

Good luck out there,
D. A. Acevedo
@iamthebbqking

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of course...

They say that writing is supposed to be therapeutic.  Today I found out that my brother is back in jail and I just needed to write my feelings.  I am not posting this for sympathy but maybe my words can help someone else who has someone they love who keeps making the same mistakes over and over again or maybe it will help the offender realize what they put their friends and family though when they don't change. D. A. Acevedo ***** I take a look at my phone and see an hour old text Call me as soon as you get this is all that it says Is Papi dead and has there been an accident These questions run though my head My finger shakes as I select dad’s name Of course… Your brother has been arrested He is back in jail I’m sorry I’m in a meeting I’ll call you when I am done My only reply is Of course… I am rather shocked that I don’t feel at all I expected some tears But he has acted odd Ever since his probation ended last month Something had been off Of course…

I (can't) Stand Alone

American's praise the individual.  Men, especially, are pushed to be self reliant, quiet, loners.  We struggle to tackle life's problems ourselves without ever asking for help.  By doing this we are proving we are strong, right? “The word "We" is as lime poured over men, which sets and hardens to stone, and crushes all beneath it, and that which is white and that which is black are lost equally in the grey of it. It is the word by which the depraved steal the virtue of the good, by which the weak steal the might of the strong, by which the fools steal the wisdom of the sages.  -Ayn Rand We do it alone.  We pull ourselves up by our bootstraps.  We can blame no one but ourselves when we fail.  We achieve success by only caring for ourselves.  Right? Earlier this month I took time to get away with a group of men.  While we were spending time together we were learning some of what it means to be "Sons of Grace."  One of the biggest points I took

Have a life filled with wonder.

Have a life filled with wonder. It is so easy to fall into a rut.  I get up, get the kids ready for school, drop them off, pick them up, eat lunch, put the kids down for nap, try to do homework, go to work or school, attempt to spend time with my wife, maybe watch a show, and then get a little sleep so that I can repeat it all again the next day. The weekend comes and I attempt to relax.  Rinse; lather; repeat. Before you know it it’s a week later and the to do boxes are mostly checked and everything starts over. I had a dream the other day that I had turned into a kid again.  In the dream I played and imagined.  I looked at the world and was filled with curiosity.  I didn’t know why flipping a switch turned on the lights, and it didn’t bother me.  I didn’t care about bills, car repairs, or what was happening on Facebook.  The biggest concern was whether or not we had any Totino’s Pizza for lunch.  As the saying goes, the world was my oyster. Levi building a repair station.