Skip to main content

Of course...

They say that writing is supposed to be therapeutic.  Today I found out that my brother is back in jail and I just needed to write my feelings.  I am not posting this for sympathy but maybe my words can help someone else who has someone they love who keeps making the same mistakes over and over again or maybe it will help the offender realize what they put their friends and family though when they don't change.

D. A. Acevedo

*****

I take a look at my phone and see an hour old text
Call me as soon as you get this is all that it says
Is Papi dead and has there been an accident
These questions run though my head
My finger shakes as I select dad’s name

Of course…

Your brother has been arrested
He is back in jail
I’m sorry I’m in a meeting
I’ll call you when I am done
My only reply is

Of course…

I am rather shocked that I don’t feel at all
I expected some tears
But he has acted odd
Ever since his probation ended last month
Something had been off

Of course…

I look down at my toddler
He just wanted some juice
He needed a new diaper; I needed a hug
I wake up my wife and I tell her the news
She shakes her head and says

Of course…

We head to pick up the older children
My mind begins to wander
Was there something I missed
Should I have called some more
No, I didn’t cause this

Of course…

Grandpa pulls me aside
Brother wants to be bailed
Everyone else has said no
And sadly I agree
There is nothing but trouble out here for him

Of course…

We talk of what he will miss
No more burgers
No more chats
Grandpa will probably be gone before he is out
As I pull out of their driveways the tears finally come

Of course…

I begin to think of the things I will miss
Of our own secret language
Crazy movies, anime, and games
Insane bands that sing about Megaman
Things that I only really shared with you

Of course…

My kids will be adults before you will get out.
They will not really know you
The tears keep coming and of course I am driving
With rapid blinks I regain composure
It is time for tee ball

Of course…

Now everyone is in bed and I cannot sleep
I open up the laptop to write
And the tears begin to flow again
I hope you can find some peace in there
No matter what I will always love you

Of course…


Comments

  1. Very sad, but very beautiful. Sometimes our love just is not enough to keep someone from doing things they shouldn't. But the love is still there for them. Praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I (can't) Stand Alone

American's praise the individual.  Men, especially, are pushed to be self reliant, quiet, loners.  We struggle to tackle life's problems ourselves without ever asking for help.  By doing this we are proving we are strong, right? “The word "We" is as lime poured over men, which sets and hardens to stone, and crushes all beneath it, and that which is white and that which is black are lost equally in the grey of it. It is the word by which the depraved steal the virtue of the good, by which the weak steal the might of the strong, by which the fools steal the wisdom of the sages.  -Ayn Rand We do it alone.  We pull ourselves up by our bootstraps.  We can blame no one but ourselves when we fail.  We achieve success by only caring for ourselves.  Right? Earlier this month I took time to get away with a group of men.  While we were spending time together we were learning some of what it means to be "Sons of Grace."  One of the biggest points I took

Have a life filled with wonder.

Have a life filled with wonder. It is so easy to fall into a rut.  I get up, get the kids ready for school, drop them off, pick them up, eat lunch, put the kids down for nap, try to do homework, go to work or school, attempt to spend time with my wife, maybe watch a show, and then get a little sleep so that I can repeat it all again the next day. The weekend comes and I attempt to relax.  Rinse; lather; repeat. Before you know it it’s a week later and the to do boxes are mostly checked and everything starts over. I had a dream the other day that I had turned into a kid again.  In the dream I played and imagined.  I looked at the world and was filled with curiosity.  I didn’t know why flipping a switch turned on the lights, and it didn’t bother me.  I didn’t care about bills, car repairs, or what was happening on Facebook.  The biggest concern was whether or not we had any Totino’s Pizza for lunch.  As the saying goes, the world was my oyster. Levi building a repair station.